DEADLINE EXTENDED: Construction Education Friend Award submissions are due by September 29, 2023.
If you have questions about the CEF Award, contact Alexandra Nguyen at email@example.com.
Construction Education Friend Award Eligibility
Through the Construction Education Friend Award Program, the AGC Construction Education Foundation (CEF) honors individuals for their outstanding contributions to construction education and workforce development efforts. To be eligible for a Friend Award, an individual must:
- Have made an outstanding contribution to the construction education and/or workforce development effort.
- Be nominated by one the following: an AGC member company, a District Board of Directors, a Division Board of Directors, a State Standing Committee/Council, or the Executive Committee.
2023 Construction Education Friend Award Winner
Oakland Unified School District
Emiliano Sanchez is the coordinator of Career Technical Education (CTE) Trades and Apprenticeships with Oakland Unified School District (OUSD). For 32 years, Sanchez has served the students of Oakland as an educator, school administrator and work-based learning coordinator. Sanchez supports hands-on learning, the development of CTE pathways, and integration of internships into youth pathways in 18 high schools that serve a total of 9,500 students. His work includes coordinating Hands-On Skilled Trades Fairs and a summer skilled-trades internship programs for OUSD and neighboring school districts.
Sanchez elevates the value of manufacturing, technical and trades careers by forming strong partnerships with skilled trades training centers, trade unions, manufacturers, community colleges CTE programs, the City of Oakland and general contractors. These efforts provide exposure and inspiration for both youth and educators to construction career options.
Through his work with AGC of California and Build California, Sanchez has connected with Swinerton, Turner Construction Company, Cahill Contractors and McGuire and Hester. He enlists the four contractors to give classroom presentations and connects them to high school students ready to work in construction.
Past Construction Education Friend Award Winners
- 2021 – Miquel “Mick” Penn, Swinerton
- 2020 – John E. Harriel, Morrow Meadows
- 2019 – Tammy Castillo, Operating Engineers Local 3
- 2018 – Gary Rafferty, Swinerton Builders
- 2017 – Paul Weber, California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
- 2016 – Alan Bond, California State University Chico
- 2015 – Francois Jacobs, California Baptist University
- 2014 – Holly Cindell, McCarthy Building Companies, Inc.
- 2013 – Robert Bourdet, W. Bradley Electric, Inc.
- 2012 – Frank Schipper, Frank Schipper Construction Co.
- 2011 – William M. Lyles, W.M. Lyles Co.
- 2010 – Jeff Wright, Lincoln High School and Jack Filanc, J.R. Filanc Construction Company
- 2009 – Jeff Merker, Sheldon High School
- 2008 – Don Gordon, Tradart Foundation