Construction Education Friend Award submissions are now open and close on September 30, 2022. If you have questions about the CEF Award, contact Alexandra Nguyen at email@example.com.
Construction Education Friend Award Eligibility
Through the Construction Education Friend Award Program, the AGC Construction Education Foundation (CEF) honors individuals for their outstanding contributions to construction education and workforce development efforts. To be eligible for a Friend Award, an individual must:
- Have made an outstanding contribution to the construction education and/or workforce development effort.
- Be nominated by one the following: an AGC member company, a District Board of Directors, a Division Board of Directors, a State Standing Committee/Council, or the Executive Committee.
2021 Construction Education Friend Award Winner
Miquel “Mick” Penn
Mick Penn has made significant contributions to workforce development and construction education in his time in the industry, including bringing people into the industry that are underrepresented. Mick started his career as the Program Counselor at Mission Hiring Hall assisting clients with job placement and retention. After serving in workforce development and outreach manager roles in several private and public entities, he now serves as the Northern California Regional Community Relations Liaison at Swinerton. In this role, he implements Swinerton’s Vendor Diversity Program. Outside of work, you can see him involved in outreach to middle schools leading STEM-based awareness programs, partnering with high schools to educate students and their parents about careers in construction and with Swinerton, investing time into internship programs, advocating for and recruiting underrepresented communities into the industry, and supporting pre-apprenticeship training programs throughout the state.
Past Construction Education Friend Award Winners
- 2020 – John E. Harriel, Morrow Meadows
- 2019 – Tammy Castillo, Operating Engineers Local 3
- 2018 – Gary Rafferty, Swinerton Builders
- 2017 – Paul Weber, California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
- 2016 – Alan Bond, California State University Chico
- 2015 – Francois Jacobs, California Baptist University
- 2014 – Holly Cindell, McCarthy Building Companies, Inc.
- 2013 – Robert Bourdet, W. Bradley Electric, Inc.
- 2012 – Frank Schipper, Frank Schipper Construction Co.
- 2011 – William M. Lyles, W.M. Lyles Co.
- 2010 – Jeff Wright, Lincoln High School and Jack Filanc, J.R. Filanc Construction Company
- 2009 – Jeff Merker, Sheldon High School
- 2008 – Don Gordon, Tradart Foundation